TIP Model

Hi,

This course has many a times stretched my imagination. For example; at the moment I am trying to conjure up images of myself as a future educator in front of my very own class. In a couple of short weeks I will catch a glimpse of what that may be like as I embark on another three week prac. As an educator especially for this upcoming prac I am understandably nervous and have serious concerns about integrating ICT into my lessons and the challenges I face with this. Throughout this course it has come to my attention that effective integration of ICT is not simply using ICT for the sake of using ICT’s but rather replacing for example a pen and paper based activity with rich ICT activities that will enhance the learning experience for the students. As an educator it is my responsibility to ask myself, do my planned ICT’s enhance the learning experience. This week we were introduced to another learning framework.  The Technology Integration Model (TIP) model specifically addresses the planning behind integrating technology into the classroom. There are five phases;

• Determine the Relative Advantage
  • Decide on Objectives
  • Design Integration Strategies
  • Prepare the Instructional Environment
  • Evaluate and Revise Integration Strategies

For a brief overview of the TIP Model click on this YouTube clip by Lavina Schwartz that runs for just 2 mins. Alternatively, Kelly Frintzilas, a fellow student, has recently posted this blog titled ‘Creating ICT rich lessons, with a little bit of help from TIP’. Emma, another fellow EDC3100er has provided an example from her online uni forum where she has reflected upon the ways in which ICT can effectively for want of a better word replace retired methods.  It is worth mentioning that the above links refer to and discuss the adapted TIP model by Mike Wheadon found here.

My overall observation of the TIP model is that surprisingly yet refreshing, that from my point of view, there is not a strong focus on ICT’s rather a focus on outcomes and objectives right from the planning stage. One thing I will make mention of is that I believe an inquiry based approach to ICT also has a place in both learning and creating with ICT’s and not be restricted to directed and constructivist styles of teaching. This is just my interpretation of the phase three stage.  If anyone reading this blog can inform me otherwise I look forward to your response. The final phase allows for reflection. Reflection should not just be an add on or something that we as educators or learners ourselves get to if time permits but a thought provoking and meaningful exercise to promote our own growth and development. Mary Bart list fours steps of critical reflection in her post here.

Kind Regards,

Leah.

2 thoughts on “TIP Model

1. Pingback: Swimming through the world of ICT's - Technology Integration Planning Model (TIP)

2. Pingback: TIP model | Tiong blog