Happy balance.

Hi,

A fellow EDC3100er has posted a blog about feeling overwhelmed and plodding through her assignments. While a lot of things Jenny posted about resinated with me my eyes were diverted to her profile where she states she is a mother of 4 and in her third year of study. I take my hat off to all the amazing mothers like Jenny that take enjoyment from seeing children learn while simultaneously learning herself. Study is difficult with children in the household and there needs to be a happy balance that many other parents, like myself are on a never ending quest for. I resigned from my position of School Officer yesterday in a quest to find my balance. I admit I cried an ‘ugly face’ cry. You know the kind that you don’t want anyone to see let alone your work peers! I loved the school that I worked at, the staff and the students. I will miss greatly the role I played and the contributions I made to student learning as I got a lot of personal satisfaction out of seeing an ‘I got it’ expression on the face of learners. However, there is a bigger picture for me and that is to complete my degree in Primary School Education. If resigning from my job doesn’t bring completion of my degree any quicker at least I will know that I have spent as much valuable, precious time with my little ones  as possible before I trust a teacher to care for them and teach them as I do at home. I particularly liked Jenny’s comments about her child’s teacher. My daughter was in a panic at one point because she didn’t get something, and Miss A said to her “Why are you crying? Don’t cry – if you don’t get it, it means that I’m not doing my job properly. You’d better give me that tissue – I’ll have a cry!” And it was all OK. What a wonderful admission to make to a student. Teachers get it wrong and have to try again.

Kind Regards,

Leah.

6 thoughts on “Happy balance.

1. Hi Leah,
    I mentioned your post in my post as this is so true about a happy balance. I mentioned in my post about knocking back positions I am qualified for and just working part time to get that happy balance and not be stressed. Sometimes we make sacrifices to achieve our ultimate goal. Good luck with you studies
    Vicki Williams

• Hi Vicki,

It must be a nice feeling to be in a position to knock back offers of work. It is nice to feel wanted. Just remeber that your studies will lead you to the ultimate goal – Teacher. Good luck with your studies.

Kind Regards,

Leah.

2. Pingback: The precarious balance… | Mrs H joins the blogging world…

• Hi Mrs H,

I admit it did take a few days for me to adjust to my decision. It is my last day tomorrow, wish me luck. I am such a cry baby I hope I don’t embarass myself. I know they are putting on a morning tea for me and I dread the thought of having to make a speech. Our tuckshop convenor makes the best scones so if he has some of them for me I am sure I can make it through the day!

Kind Regards,
      Leah.

3. Hi Leah,

I was shocked to see that you had resigned. I agree, you have to find the balance and do what is right. I decided to not return to work after maternity leave, to finish this degree after the birth of my second, just over a year ago. I could no longer juggle. Juggling one child and work was hard enough, but a baby that was attached to me like a leech, was not going to happen!

I hope having left work, you can spend some additional time with the kids and also speed up your degree.

There is definitely light at the end of the tunnel, even though at times I question if I will ever reach the end.

Regards

Mrs Frintzilas

• Hi Kelly,

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, however for me it is just a small hint of a light. I still have a few years of study ahead of me as I will continue to study part time. I am sure that not returning to work after having your second child was a big decision for you to make at the time. I am hoping that I have made the right decision for me and my family.

Kind Regards,

Leah.